Quaker acres farm is an informal Association of neighbors using each other's yards in a potluck kind away so that it's a square meal. One of our team members is involved in this and we are all thinking of cooperating with neighbors this way .
Above & Beyond Food Challenge
Start a local Farm My Yard program!
Did you know...
Urban farming feeds about 700 million city-dwellers worldwide.
Lots of people have yards, but don't have the time or inclination to start a garden. Many more people want to grow food, but don't have any space to do it. A Farm My Yard program - as developed in Portland, Oregon - is a great way to hook available yards up with people hungry to produce healthy, local food. You can bridge the gap.
- Put out a call to your community looking for interested participants. You can use newsletters, Front Porch Forum, lawn signs, and posters at local businesses to get the word out.
- Keep a list of land-owners and interested growers.
- Hold a Farm My Yard potluck to introduce everyone to each other, and help introduce participants to each other.
- Check out the Farm My Yard website (in resources) for tips, signs, and paperwork.
- Let us know what happens!