10 Elements Of A Good Story
Note: You don’t have to have ALL these elements in every story, but the more the merrier.
- A good story has a beginning, a middle, and an end.
- A good story has tension, conflict, or an obstacle to overcome.
- A good story has a protagonist we care about (hopefully you) who’s trying to get or accomplish something important.
- A good story has a satisfying resolution or conclusion.
- A good story has someone who learns, changes, grows, or overcomes a significant obstacle.
- A good story has a “hook,” an element which everyone will remember.
- A good story has a surprise - something nobody expects.
- A good story has vivid descriptions of people and places.
- A good story has humor and emotion.
- A good story is one you love to tell and one you would like to hear.
Bonus Note: Don’t try to write in a fancy, literate way. Write the way you talk - only without the ums, ya knows, and likes.