I've done the best on the food category. I really like eating healthy and I discover some new foods all the time. This is a fairly easy category for. I have no clue really why, but the food category just comes too me.
Transportation Challenge #3
Discover your opportunities for Hybrid Transportation. Hint: We don't mean get a Prius.
Half of U.S. schoolchildren are dropped off at school in the family car. If 20% of those living within two miles of school were to bike or walk instead, it would save 4.3 million miles of driving per day. - Safe Routes to School: Steps to a Greener Future
We don't have to buy a different car or find a new place to live to improve our transportation habits. Those things can make a big difference, but you can't just snap your fingers and make them happen. This challenge shows an easy way to re-mix everyday trips with a little less driving, and a little more riding and walking. Let's change the way we think about how we get around.
- Check out the info sheet in the Resources to learn what Hybrid Travel is and what makes it work well.
- Look at the four travel categories and rank them in order - easiest to hardest - to mix in walking and riding and cut back on driving.
- In the challenge box, describe why your top-ranking category is your best bet for more mixed-mode mobility.
If you don't drive anywhere...
Complete this challenge by poinpointing which category you've been most successful with, how you got there, and any tips and tricks you think might help other people follow your lead!
Definition: Using different modes of travel to complete the same trip - i.e. You don't have to arrive at your destination in the same way you left your house.
Some Hyrid Transportation E-ziness factors:
- Proximit-E (less than 1-2 miles is easier than 10-20!)
- Flexibilit-E (it's easier if you don't need to worry about taking a little extra time when you need it.)
- Compan-E (when others are going the same way, you can rideshare and vanpool.)
- Daily Commute (to work, school, etc.)
- Shopping (groceries etc.)
- Personal or Family Business
- Social & Recreational
Ways To Travel
- "Five people in my town all work at the same place. They bike or walk to my house, I drive the vanpool."'
- "I take the bus part way to my Grandmother's house, and bike the last couple miles."
- "I walk with my kids to school and meet my carpool there."
- "My best friend and I go to the recycling center together. It's our weekly Dump Date!"