We can find many ways to upgrade our home: one is new double pane windows, tightening up all windows and doors---because this is the leading cause of energy loose in homes and is the easiest and most affordable way to improve your homes energy performance.
Energy Challenge #3
Go on a Home Energy Treasure Hunt and see how many nuggets of savings you can find and claim!
“Vampires” are appliances that suck energy even when you think they’re shut off, like microwaves, DVRs, TVs, and game systems. "Wall Warts" are the big boxy chargers we tend to leave plugged in even after an applicance has been charged.
The exciting part about making simple little improvements in your home energy use is that everything you do makes things better, saves you money on the energy you don't use, and can even make your home a more comfortable place to be.
- Check out the Home Energy Treasure Hunt checklist from the Resources section.
- Pick one or two items from each room in your house that would be easy to take action on, don't take a lot of time, and don't cost a lot of money. Then do them!
- Share what you did! Be sure to post some photos of your home energy adventure!
If you think you've got this list covered:
- take this online survey and find out how efficient your home is; and then
- Complete this challenge by posting your score and your reaction!