My biggest challenge in implementing my plan to walk or bike whenever I am going about our village, or within a couple of miles of home, is my feeling that I just don't have enough time. However, this is mostly a holdover from many years of working and parenting and so on. I do have time now. I am re-defining this walking and riding as necessary exercise that I should do for at least an hour every day. Or at least almost every day. Since I used to get daily exercise as part of my routine when I was working, I am motivated to develop this habit as I get used to retirement living.
Transportation Challenge #4
Uncover your barriers for Hybrid Transportation. Hint: They're probably not concrete blocks.
If some people pay to go to the gym, does that mean that getting regular exercise as part of your daily travel counts as saving you money? How about if it means you don't have to pay to visit the doctor and purchase medication?
As a sensitive and perceptive Goat, I've observed that you Humans often have no clear idea why you do or don't do things. Sometimes your choices are conscious and practical, and sometimes they're reflexive and emotional. When you're trying to make changes in your habits, it's helpful to uncover and clarify what's in your way, and strategize what you can do about it.
- Keeping in mind your best-fit category (from Transportation Challenge #3), make a short list of some obstacles that might make it hard to drive less. Check out the Resources for ideas.
- For each one, try and come up with a few ways that you could get over, around, under, or through those barriers.
- Complete this challenge by sharing the problem(s) you're targeting, and your easiest and most appealing solution(s).
If you don't have a car...
We know that not owning a car can sometimes be a little inconvenient. Complete this alternative by describing:
- What your most challenging regular transportation needs?
- How you overcome them?
- Daily Commute (to work, school, etc.)
- Shopping (groceries etc.)
- Personal or Family Business
- Social & Recreational
- I'm not even sure my bike works anymore
- Walking is boring
- I'll go for a short ride, make a list of all my bike's quirks, and then schedule a tune-up!
- On my next walk, I'll look for 3 surprising, beautiful, or unsual things, take photos of them, and turn the most interesting one into a birthday card for my best friend.