my daughter and i are going to plant seeds for our garden, so we'll plant an extra one for a friend... i think we might plant basil or parsley, as those are herbs people use a lot!
Food Challenge #2
Grow a friend (food plant) as a gift for another friend (human person).
Soil is good for happiness! The soil-inhabiting microbe Mycobacterium vaccae has been found to stimulate serotonin production and has an effect on neurons similar to Prozac.
There's something marvelously magical about planting a tiny seed, giving it a little water and light, and watching it emerge into a plant which can feed someone you care about. Talk about food as love!
- Pick someone who could use a nice gift. Might be an upcoming birthday, graduation, or just a person who might appreciate an expression of how you feel about them.
- Think about what kind of food plant they might appreciate. Herbs are always nice because they smell good, make your taste food delicious, and many of them will grow all year long indoors - so it's a gift that keeps on giving.
- Get some seeds, a little potting soil, an egg carton, some plastic wrap (to keep the water in), and a sunny spot (away from cats). Plant the seeds, keep 'em moist, and watch 'em grow!
- If sprouting seeds doesn't appeal, you can always get a start at a garden store.
- Be sure to have a nifty container to put the plant in when it gets big.
- Share what you did!
Feel like a brown thumb? Intimidated by being responsible for a plant life? Ask for help from a team member or do this project with a friend or family member.
Great Herbs To Grow Indoors
Upcycled Flower Pots (no need to buy anything new)