I think the hardest challenge is heating our homes... We have a cold weather heat pump, which works well for a good chunk of the year, but the issue is the coldest time. I have dreams of living in a small home that is super efficient... rain water is collected off of the roof, gray water is used from showers for the garden, there's lots of natural light, solar panels, batteries so it's off grid, a cold weather heat pump, and a pellet stove for the coldest times of year. i love the idea of being self-sufficient... i love hearing about net zero homes... it resonates and seems the way were are meant to live. it's the getting there that's the challenge! I think we have been conditioned to live in a way that we expect, but it's not sustainable. to break that thought pattern is the only way. i am going to a talk on monday night to hear about someone who is living in a net zero retrofit... i will get more ideas then!
Energy Challenge #5
Think big! Tell the story of how you could get your life to 90% clean energy consumption.
Did you know?
90% of Vermonters support a clean energy future... but aren't sure what it will take to get there.
Vermont has set goals like 90% renewables (zero carbon emissions) by 2050, but if we're going to get there together, then we also have to think about our own individual pathways as well. By imagining what it would take to get there, the ideas become more real, making it easier for those that *could* pull it off to do so sooner, and that inspires everyone else as well! There's no time like today to imagine a better tomorrow!
- Check out the Resources to figure out what percent "clean" your energy usage is right now.
- List some key obstacles to getting to 90% renewables in your own life.
- Tell a story of how you could do *one important thing this year* to overcome a key barrier to getting there. (Hint: visuals can tell a great story)
Already living light? Share your story of how you got there.
Clean Energy Assessment
- "I don't have the time or expertise to figure this out."
- "I deserve to have and use as much energy as I want!"
- "I don't know even who to talk to about any of this!"
- "This has all got to be WAY too expensive for me!"
Example Ideas For Do-Able Changes
Energy Home of the Future
Cold Climate Heat Pump