On October 3rd, at the Maple Corner Comminty Center the Vermontivate team will host an energy fair. Not only will be have an electric vehicle to test drive, but electric bikes, home energy audit information, solar energy companies, home weatherization information and companies, as well as information about carbon tax, etc. Right down the street will be the Kent Museum art exhibit which draws hundreds of people to town on that day. We plan on piggy-backing on all the publicity. There will also be a breakfast and lunch served at the Community Center, and talent show the previous night.
Energy Challenge #6
Speak up! Add your voice to the conversation about an energy issue you care about.
Vermont's law to ban school bus idling started with 8th graders sending postcards about it to their legislators.
Even at the state's highest levels of setting policy, the people who make the laws and write the rules work for us! Businesses care about how their customers feel. Non-profits need support to do their jobs well. Whether we're making calls, sending postcards, writing letters to the editor, posting on Front Porch Forum, or just chatting with friends and neighbors over coffee, our voices, opinions, and perspectives matter!
- We have a lot of great tools in the works to help Vermont create a clean energy future. Check the Resources to find out what they are, and who's working on them.
- Pick one of these tools to learn about and understand why it's important.
- To complete this challenge, take what you know and add your voice to the public conversation. Check the Resources for tips about ways to express yourself.
Don't feel like you know enough yet? Too shy to add your voice?
If you feel like you don't understand one of these issues well enough to talk about it, call, write, or meet with an expert from one of the organizations listed in Resources. Share their answer as your response to this challenge.
If you're too shy to share your opinion by yourself, see if a friend or family member will do it with you! Tell us what happens!
Tools For Building A Clean Energy Future
- Carbon Pollution Tax
- Fossil Fuel Divestment
- Stop Building More Fossil Fuel Infrastructure
- Community Solar
- Local Energy Generation
- Town Energy Committee
Ways To Express Your Ideas and Opinions
- Make a meme
- Write a Letter To The Editor or an OpEd for your local paper
- Post your opinion or ideas on Front Porch Forum
- Invite a friend to coffee and talk about your ideas
- Host a house party to meet with an expert
- Organize a community conversation at your local church or library
Some Energy Experts
- Renewable Energy Vermont (info about renewable options and installers)
- Energy Indepdendent Vermont (carbon pollution tax)
- 350VT (divestment and tar sands)
- VECAN (energy committees)
- Rising Tide (oppose VT Gas Pipeline)
More Good Info
- VT's Comprehensive Energy Plan
- VT's Total Energy Study
- Global Warming's Terrifying New Math
- This Changes Everything