I haven't pumped up the bike tires just yet, but I do have a handy Employee bus pass that I use as often as I can. Today, I took the bus to work and will ride it home as well. This also incorporates about 3 miles of walking into my day since I have to walk from Cherry St. down a ways on Pine St. (I could take the Pine St. bus, but I like the exercise!)
Transportation Challenge #5
Personal Transportation Power-Up! Shine your shoes, buff your bike, or bling your bus pass. Hint: Don't wax your car.
Did you know?
If you swoon with every swoop of gas prices, you might be missing the forest for the trees. Fuel only makes up about 30% of vehicle costs. The vast majority (~70%) is in wear-and-tear expenses that go up with every mile traveled. (Source: IRS mileage reimbursement calculations)
It's fun! You'll also give yourself the competitive advantage of a better transportation experience. Because if you don't have a good time - especially when trying something new - you're less likely to try it again. So add some sparkle your shoelaces, some glitter to your bike helmet, or pop hits to your playlist. You're worth it, my friends, each and every one of you!
- Think about the various ways you get around without a car.
- Brainstorm a few ideas for how you might spruce up your Tools of Mobility. You can make a junky item better or turn a good thing into something great!
- Describe - or even better - post a picture of what you did in the challenge box below!
There's no way to improve your typical trvael experience? Everything's perfect?
Okayy..... Then you've got to share your secrets! Complete this challenge by:
- Basking in the glow of your glorious ways of getting around.
- Share some insights about your favorite part of your transportation life!
- Decorate your bike, shoes, or hat.
- Bring a great book you've been wanting to read for the bus.
- Track stats with an app or pedometer to feel good about the progress you're making!